Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

"Gobble, gobble"..dying last words of turkey! I roasted my very first turkey this year. I'm usually not a big fan of turkey because it's usually dry, but I brined mine this year, tucked butter under the turkey breast skin, and used one of those roasting bags and mmmwha! yummy!, if I do say so myself! My dad and stepmom came and celebrated the holiday with us, even though we know Ben is the real reason they came..hehe. Even though I had worked a couple of hours each day leading up to Thursday, my stepmom Cheri and I worked right up until lunch time. But we were eating before 1pm so I think it was all a success! We had turkey with stuffing, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, dressing, cranberry sauce, squash casserole, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, yeast rolls, apple butter, apple butter pumpkin pie, and pecan pie. Ok, so maybe I went a little overboard, ok, ok, maybe a lot overboard, but we had great time enjoying one other's company, watching Ben play with his toy turkey, and it was so nice to be able to cook a nice dinner for a few of the people I love! I'm so grateful for all of my family and friends, for my baby boy and husband, and for my Savior and am looking forward to Christmas and watching Ben experience a little magic in the form of a red suit and beard. Being the mom of a kid is ALMOST as fun as being a kid again myself! (More so in a lot of ways..)Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some leftovers to go eat!


The doting grandparents


Adam fell asleep (remote in hand) watching the game and waiting for the turkey. (He's going to KILL me for posting this picture!)


A banquet fit for a king! (Too bad all he got was cereal and prunes..hehe!)


The man of the house carving the turkey! Doesn't it make you want to do the Tim Allen growl?!






Hours and hours of preparation...snarfed down in 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

WOW! That is a ton of food! Poor Ben will have to wait until next year to enjoy! Glad y'all had a great Thanksgiving!

jamieschip said...

WOW Jen! That is amazing! I bet you still have leftovers. I love that pic of Ben looking at all the food. I cooked my first turkey last year and was nervous about it. It turned out fine, but I messed up the gravy. I kept the heat too high when I was boiling the giblets and neck and the water evaporated and everything burned... oops. Oh well. I learned. LOVE the pics! Hope you guys are doing well.